Saturday, March 2, 2013

Bonjour, Paris!


You can blame it on my French heritage, perhaps.  Or maybe it’s the way the Eiffel Tower is lit up at night, its reflection shining in the Seine.  I’ve always loved outdoor cafes, artsy neighborhoods, Gothic architecture, crepes and croque monsieurs.  Maybe that’s why I fell for Paris long before I’d ever been, and why my passion was confirmed before I made it through customs at Charles De Gaulle.

Or maybe it was all the movies.

Paris occupies a special place in the cinematic universe.  There’s a beautiful contrast between the wide boulevards and the cobblestone neighborhoods, the heavy Arc du Triumph and the airy landscapes of impressionist art.  The city is ancient but forward-thinking, its occupants both romantic and fashionably aloof.  Paris almost begs to be immortalized in film, and it has.

On my trip to Paris in the spring of 2009, I was lucky enough to see many of the settings used in my favorite “France movies.”  Almost everything in the City of Light seems iconic in some context, but for me these were the most memorable.

 
'Art Nouveau' metro signs, The Aristocats (1970) - While conniving butlers seem oblivious to their warnings, my childhood self was strangely captivated by the dreamlike signs seen in the Disney classic.  I'd always assumed they were a stylistic touch thrown in by the animators, but many of  the original pieces still adorn the public transportation system.  On a walking tour of the city, our group stopped to watch street performers beside this otherworldly form.


Strolling along the Seine, An American in Paris (1951) - It might be difficult to master the graceful ballet of Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron, but you can at least walk alongside the river that flows through the heart of Paris.  Plenty of couples and groups of friends still have the same idea, and it was quite common to see people sharing bottles of wine on the stone embankments.  And because dance shouldn't be limited to photographs, you simply must watch "Our Love Is Here To Stay."


Paris Opera House, The Phantom of the Opera (2004) - The setting behind the internationally acclaimed musical and the 2004 movie adaptation is open to visitors when performances aren't scheduled.  You'll immediately recognize the ornate lobby and the rich interior of the seating area.  I didn't see the Phantom himself on my trip, but one of my friends did get locked in the bathroom quite mysteriously.  You can almost hear the organ music, can't you?  And for the pure spectacle of it all, treat yourself to "Masquerade."




Shakespeare and Company, Midnight in Paris (2011) - I saw this whimsical Woody Allen film long after my trip to France, but it's enough to inspire at least a dozen new Paris adventures.  Any writer or reader should remember to check out Shakespeare and Company, an English language bookstore on the Left Bank.  While not all of us have the opportunity to get individualized writing tips from F. Scott Fitzgerald and Gertrude Stein, we can trace the path of Owen Wilson and Marion Cotillard with a paperback as traveling companion.

I'll let Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire, and Kay Thompson wrap up my post with one of the best odes to Paris, found in Funny Face (1956):



:

Au revior! 

6 comments:

  1. Bonjour! C'est très magnifique... and that's the extent of my French, though I really did love this post. The movie choices were varied and fun, and Arisocats is still one of my favorites from childhood. As I'm going to France at the end of the semester- I suppose I'll need to check out these films before the trip. This was like a brief tour of the city through film which is rather charming. Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is your best post yet! I always had this romantic view of Paris and it was of course from the hundreds of movies I have watched that are set in Paris. When I finally went to Paris in 2011, I was amazed at how beautiful it truly was. I think you did a wonderful job describing the city and monuments through movies. The post is kind of long, but it reads fast because you have it broken down in different parts.

    I really enjoyed the entire post. There is a way to make the post wider so it doesn't look so long too. It's in your settings where you change your background. Some readers may be intimidated by the length.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was great that you were able to mix your love of movies into your love of Paris in one post. I've never been to Paris but I was able to get a feel for some of the destinations you mentioned. You have a strong voice in this piece, and I liked the little bits of french you mixed in. Overall this was an excellent post and a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you are able to intertwine your love of Paris, description of the city and your favorite French movies so easily. I first traveled to Paris in 2010 with the same expectations as you did because of movies, books and TV shows. Although my I was more likely to watch "Mary Kate and Ashley: Passport to Paris" than "The Aristocrats" or "An American in Paris" while growing up. Your descriptions of the city were great, and they made me wish I could hop on a plane to be back in Paris right this minute! I love that you have ended your last couple of posts with clips from movies. I think that is a great touch and it gives the reader an idea of what your favorite type of movie is from each category. I also love that you put pictures in from different scenes of each movie. I think it was an easy and fun read. I may even disagree with Kaline-I would not have minded if there was more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing I noticed was the setting you told us of. I could see Paris and thought you did a great job explaining the city and it's beautiful features. I always enjoy your movie selection because it gives us a look at what type of person you are, and what you're passionate about. As always, your analysis of an aspect of each movie was interesting and educational. Great job!

    ReplyDelete