Saturday, March 30, 2013

What A Marvel-ous Surprise!

If you’d asked me a year ago, I would have scoffed at the idea. Or worse, said something along the lines of: “Aren’t those targeted for chauvinistic men?” I thought I just didn’t get it, or maybe I (quite pretentiously) reasoned that my taste was somehow more refined than the general masses. Now I realize the dangers of speaking before giving something a true chance, and I’m ready to declare that my prejudices couldn’t have been more wrong. I’m ready to sing this truth from the rooftops of the Internet, because…

I love Marvel movies.

If you’re a bit reluctant to embrace Marvel Comics' film universe, my best advice would be to try watching at least one before making any firm resolutions. I’m far from being an expert on the subject, but I’ve decided to outline my reasons for falling in love with these films. (Oh, and just in case you don’t want to take my word for it, a certain Robert Redford just signed up for a role in Captain America 2 and has all kinds of good things to say.)


Reason #1: Character Arcs to Write Home About -- Iron Man If you're a fan of characters learning life  lessons, I think I have the Marvel superhero for you.  In Iron Man, billionaire-playboy Tony Stark gains a new worldview after a traumatizing experience and decides to use his savvy to "privatize world peace."  With a strong dose of sarcasm that could only be delivered by the multi-talented Robert Downey Jr., Iron Man is funny, action-packed, and surprisingly romantic.  (We'll forgive you your regression in Iron Man 2, Tony.)
 
 

Reason #2: Women Who Kick Some Serious Ass -- Black Widow in Iron Man 2 and The Avengers Remember how I wondered if comic book movies were just for chauvinistic men? If you like movies where female characters take care of matters themselves, I'd suggest seeing any Marvel film featuring Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow. Just watch what happens when people underestimate her abilities. No really, just watch. Here's to hoping Marvel gives "Natasha" her own origins movie.


Reason #3: Love...Trapezoids? -- The X-Men films in general Who knew comic book movies could rival most daytime soap operas? If you're like me and you enjoy rooting for various romantic pairings of characters (or as we call it on the Internet, "shipping"), then you must watch the X-Men films. Or maybe you should avoid them, because the confusion and heartache that you will endure can sometimes be too much to handle. In my opinion, they should market the trilogy with boxes of tissues. I've given up and decided to root for myself getting together with Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, but we'll see how that goes. (I'm a cat owner so I'm not worried about the claws.)


Reason #4: History AND Mythology Tie-Ins -- Captain America and Thor Marvel films can be somewhat educational! Steve Rogers didn't actually aid in the resolution of World War II, but Captain America does illustrate the 1940s in an accessible way that captures attention differently from history textbooks. Lovers of mythology should enjoy the colorful parallel universe brought to life in Thor. I'll happily admit to being more than a little in love with Tom Hiddleston's god of mischief, Loki. (If it doesn't work out between Wolverine and myself, I might just go for the villain.)

What do you think about comic book movies? Feel free to share in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, the Marvel movies are actually really good (though I admit that I haven't made it all the way through X-Men). I think it's Tony Stark that got me hooked. Between Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes I didn't stand a chance. I'm half in love with Robert Downey Jr. as it is. Make the man into a sarcastic but charming super hero or brilliant drug addict detective and I don't stand a chance.

    I love the humor and all around fun in this post. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RDJ as Sherlock is also my downfall! I just might do a whole post on my love for the man. Did you know he has an album? ...I have Robert Downey Jr. Christmas songs on my iPod. I'm so bad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we had a video recording comparison of when I asked if you wanted to see "The Avengers" in May ("Uh... not really my thing") and in September ("They're having a special Labor Day showing at Carousel. Please can we go?!"). I'm certainly not complaining though. I love having someone new to fangirl Marvel movies with.

    P.S. Can Captain America double-date with you and Wolverine? I'm really hoping it'll work out between you two; I'm not sure how well our friendship would hold up if you started dating Loki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUPERHEROES! I love the blog topic! Thank you for being another Superhero fan. You do a great job capturing strong points of the movies and writing passionately about Superheroes. Thank you for appreciating like I do.

    Since Wikipedia knows all and doesn't lie, here is the Wikipedia article (with sources) about the Marvel Cinematic Universe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also used to be very skeptical about Marvel movies, and superhero movies in general. I never really gave them a chance until I got dragged to watch Iron Man. That movie made me realize that I actually love Marvel's movies.
    Great job with this post, I wasn't expecting a post like this at all but I think it was one of your strongest yet. It was humorous, light, and very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you switched the posts up and discussed Marvel films. You seem like the classical girl so it's great way to keep everyone interested in your blog. Great job! I'm a big Iron Man fan, it comical and badass. Can't beat that right? I really enjoyed how you set up the post too. It's broken up well with pictures and the way the text in situated. One of you best posts yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talking about Marvel movies was a great way to change up your posts. It was completely unexpected! I really liked that you numbered the reasons why you enjoy Marvel movies. While I do have to say I have never seen any movies you mentioned except the X-Men movies, you've made me very interested in all of them! The Iron Man movies do look very bad ass. Your sarcastic remarks are so funny to me. My favorite line is the one about how you have cats so you aren't worried about Wolverines' claws. I appreciated the photos and video you added once again! My favorite comic book movies are without a doubt the Batman movies (specifically the Dark Knight movies). I go home on breaks and buy all of them "On Demand" and make my mom pay for them. Excellent post once again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh -- blog-group crossover! Thea's commenting outside of her group. Love it. (ds)

    ReplyDelete