Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pass the Tissues, Please



At the age of twelve, I convinced my mother to rent a copy of Titanic.  This was a major turning point for several reasons.  My parents were a bit puritanical when it came to movie ratings, and Titanic is decidedly PG-13.  Secondly, my young self approached the film with a bizarre predisposition to hate Leonardo DiCaprio.  This lasted about thirty seconds into the movie, whereupon I decided that I was in fact madly in love with Leonardo DiCaprio.  Lastly, Titanic was my first example of how cinematic destruction works on all levels: disturbing imagery, emotional heartbreak, and that horrible empty feeling as you hear the first strains of “My Heart Will Go On.”  I don’t want to ruin the film for anyone, but: the ship sinks and a lot of people die. I sat on the couch with my mother, who was sobbing, and willed myself not to cry.  My twelve-year-old self thought crying was embarrassing, especially at the end of a movie.  I went to bed that night incredibly upset but with dry eyes. 

At the age of twenty, Titanic was rereleased in theaters much to thrill of myself and a few friends.  Our group dined at Azteca before the film, reminiscing on our individual puritanical upbringings: how one parent had insisted on fast forwarding through the “drawing scene,” and how another had not clearly explained the hand in the “car scene.”  At the theater we donned our 3D glasses and proceeded to embark on an emotional rollercoaster that we still discuss to this day.  The film started—Irish music, a shot of the sea—and we watched as if we’d never seen any of it before.  Titanic is so immortalized in pop culture, yet we watched with the terror we’d all felt as children on couches.  Only this time, I cried.  I cried until my glasses fogged like the windows in the “car scene.”  I cried until the bottom of my chin felt wet from the waterworks, cried even harder when I realized my friends were also crying, and continued to cry as we drove back to campus.  And I went to bed that night deeply sad…but satisfied.

At the age of twenty-one, I can now admit my need for an occasional “good cry.”   For me, movies provide access to that strange need, and if you’re looking to either cry or emotionally torture yourself this weekend, you might consider one of these suggestions.  (Or Titanic, of course.)


Out of Africa (1985)—Visually gorgeous but emotionally devastating, this movie makes me want to book a Kenyan safari but makes me actually crawl into bed with a box of tissues.  The story is centered around Karen Blixen’s (Meryl Streep) efforts at running a coffee plantation in Africa but eventually shifts to her love affair with a mysteriously handsome hunter/safari guide named Denys.  (And if you guessed that the handsome hunter/safari guide is played by Robert Redford, you are absolutely right!) 

Les Miserables (2012)—My father, who understands much less French than his French Canadian background suggests, informed me that this title translates to The Miserables.  Honestly, I think that might be an understatement.  Unlike most depressing movies which pack a punch at the end, this one slaps the emotions from start to finish.  If you’d like to take the depressing experience with you on the go, you can now download the complete soundtrack for your iPod.  (Yes, I spend a lot of time listening to Anne Hathaway singing “I Dreamed A Dream.”  Plus, a guy who looks a lot like my boyfriend Wolverine is in this!)

Doctor Zhivago (1965)—If this epic Russian adaptation doesn’t make you cry due to its winding plotlines, you might just cry due to the fact that everything looks so barren and cold.  Another love story, of course, but this one is set against the Bolshevik revolution.  Characters don’t merely long for each other: they trek across great sheets of ice in blizzard conditions, much like students in upstate New York walk to class.  (If you want more depressing love stories involving that particular Soviet brand of communism, try Reds (1981) with Warren Beatty and Diane Keaton.)  

 


What about you—do you have a favorite tearjerker?  Comment below!




6 comments:

  1. Paige, I love your blog. The tone and voice, the movies, the fact that you put in the best clips form the movies you choose, I love it all.

    For this post specifically, I was cranked back down memory lane. After the first time I watched Titanic, I approached my father and asked him what a "One Legged Prostitute" was? I believe his response was "Ask me again when you're twelve," followed shortly there after with, "Where did you hear that?" While not Puritanical (my first "R" movie was Pretty Woman, after all) my parents weren't ones to explain the really mature things like what a prostitute was or that Julia Roberts played on in Pretty Woman.

    In response to your question, the next time your looking for that satisfying desolation that only a true tear-jerker can bring, check out Legends of the Fall. That movie, and we've watched it more times than you can count on two hands and one foot, still makes all the women in my family cry. It is the most consistently heartbreaking story so go in with a full box of tissues; I'm pretty sure the real reason it's rated "R" is for the heartbreak quotient (and some racy and adult scenes). If you are going to watch it, do not watch the trailer if you want consistent heartbreak. There are simply way too many spoilers in that trailer.

    As always, wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie's Choice -- saddest movie ever. I love it. Also, for a sappier movie, The Way We Were. I don't even have to watch the whole movie -- if I catch the last 10 minutes on television, I'm a wreck. (Steiner)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a great voice in your posts that it draws me in and makes me enjoy each post. I love the way you say certain things, like "The film started—Irish music, a shot of the sea—and we watched as if we’d never seen any of it before." You have such lovely writing. My favorite part of your posts are when you have the "suggestion" section with movies that we should venture into.

    Whenever I watch "My Sister's Keeper" the waterworks never stop. Watching someone die for 2 hours is emotionally draining.

    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post, one of my favorites so far! Admittedly, I'm not a huge movie person. I love going to movies occasionally but I usually end up reading more often than I watch movies. I wasn't sure if I'd find your blog interesting for this reason, but you manage to draw me in again and again with each post.

    I love how personal this post was. You connected being dry eyed and upset the first time you watched it, to crying and feeling satisfied after recently watching it. I feel that everyone can relate to needing "a good cry" every once in a while, so I really liked the suggestions section for movies that will give you just that.

    "The Green Mile" is one of those movies that gets me every time. This has nothing to do with movies, but something that ALWAYS makes me cry are those shows or YouTube clips of soldiers coming back from war and surprising their family, friends, and pets. I'm usually teary eyed within three minutes of watching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be my favorite post to date. I'm not entirely sure what drew me in so much, but I really enjoyed it. I liked that you put the video clip at the beginning this week. I liked that most of the post was your actual experience with "The Titanic," then and now. I do have quite a crush on Leonardo DiCaprio as well, so I agree with you there. Admittedly, I have never seen "The Titanic" the whole way through. I am not a big fan of emotional movies, chick flicks, or romance movies. My brother prides me on having movie preferences similar to his-we'd rather watch movies like "The Departed" and "Fight Club." One time I actually ran over a copy of "The Notebook" with my mom's car because I thought the entire concept of the film was silly. I cried during "Mighty Joe Young" when the ferris wheel fell on top of the giant gorilla. I also cried when Carlisle "died" at the end of the last Twilight movie, but cheered when we found out it was not real. I'd much rather watch action or suspense, rather than something that will make me emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an absolute cry baby when it comes to heart wrenching, emotional, love stories. One thing I need to get out, I was also twelve when I first saw Titanic and for some reason had the same notion as you to hate Leonardo DiCaprio. I too fell in love and came to the conclusion that it was all the men in the world who's wives or girlfriends that had also fallen in love with DiCaprio who were trying to make us all hate him. I could you hate that gorgeous man?

    I think a good cry sometimes is good. "P.S. I love you" absolutely killed me. The first, second, third, and tenth time I've watched this movie has made me cry from beginning to end. My new favorite love story is "Like Crazy." Such an amazing and beautiful story. "The Notebook" is always a killer because we all want that crazy love. I could honestly go on and on, but I absolutely love this pose! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete