Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rom-Com Rodeo

I've been hesitant to dive into this topic, only because my feelings are what could neatly be referred to as "mixed."  For some reason, this genre always receives overwhelming responses whenever someone mentions such a movie at a social gathering.  I used to defend these things from the "haters," arguing for their special place amongst the quirky artist biopics and the family vacation sagas.  Recently, though, I'm not sure how I feel about romantic comedies as a whole. 



What's the definition of a romantic comedy, anyway?  Yes, many are marked by cliches (as evidenced in the video above) but Hollywood has been known to apply the label to a wide spectrum of films that often differ dramatically in tone, style, and content.  How can a film by Woody Allen be placed in the same category as a movie featuring Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson running around a European capital?  I'm also not sure how I feel about the term "chick flick," as I know many women who loathe romantic comedies and just as many men who enjoy them.   Imagine, Hollywood selling us gender stereotypes! 

When I was in junior high, I loved romantic comedies for their zany situations and risque romantic moments.  I assumed that many of the films I watched were actually windows into the adult world, and that one day I, too, would be wholly consumed by the desire to find Mr. Right.  And throughout junior high and high school, I guess I was.  Not Having A Boyfriend was the ultimate embarrassment.   I saw how Hollywood viewed single women and figured my chronic state of solitude was somehow a foreshadowing of the future.  But in college I quickly discovered that it isn't always roses and love montages though your Facebook status might reflect being "in a relationship."  Now that I've reached the ripe old age of twenty-one, many of my peers from high school are getting engaged and starting families.  According to most romantic comedies, this should make me very anxious, and I should probably set up some kind of online dating profile because the clock has begun to tick! 


But do I feel this way?  Not yet, at least.  In fact, I'm glad I'm single.  (Go ahead and gasp!)  At this point in my life, I can't really relate to the desperate loneliness that romantic comedies say women endure when they live alone.  In fact, I enjoy living alone.  And while it'd be wonderful to meet a great guy, I'm much more excited about starting graduate school.  So until Hollywood decides to make a movie about surviving on Spaghettios in New Hampshire, I might take some time off from the world of romantic comedies.

That being said, here's a few rom-coms I'll always adore:

Roman Holiday (1953) - Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck set the standard for romantic comedies set abroad.  For those who love traveling it's a must-see: Rome is just as important as the resulting romance.

Barefoot in the Park (1967) - I couldn't make a list without having at least one Robert Redford movie, and this Neil Simon classic takes a look at the post-honeymoon life of a quirky couple in 1960s New York. 

You've Got Mail (1998) - A classic story, updated for the digital age.  There are a lot of bookstore scenes in this, and bookstore scenes are always a good thing.  Also makes multiple references to both Joni Mitchell and Pride and Prejudice

Scoop (2006) - Murder mystery meets romantic comedy meets Woody Allen dialogue.  Hugh Jackman owns an English estate in this.  Scarlett Johansson plays a student reporter.  Woody plays an anxious magician.  Need I say more?


Do you have a favorite romantic comedy? Comment away!

No comments:

Post a Comment