Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Fangirl's Guide To Traveling

Earlier this year, I shared my film-inspired love for the city of Paris.  While I love traveling just for the sake of traveling, it's even more enjoyable for me when I have a movie-related destination in mind.  In my opinion, films can inspire all kinds of things: new stories, life changes, worldview shifts...and road trips, too.  So, without further ado, here's my Seven Wonders of the Domestic United States: Cinematic Detours Edition.

#7: Trapp Family Lodge, Stowe, Vermont  (Connection: The Sound of Music)


It is a widely known fact that I adore The Sound of Music.  (I can explain here.)  It is perhaps less widely known that, after escaping to Switzerland, the real-life Trapp Family Singers decided to immigrate to Vermont.  Today their family "lodge" is a year-round resort. Stepping through the front doors is like stepping into Austria, only instead of the Alps you can enjoy views of the Green Mountains.  For those on a budget, delicious sandwiches are available in the lounge for a reasonable price.  They also offer carriage rides, where I'm assuming one could sing "Do-Re-Mi" without getting any strange looks. 

#6: Mystic Pizza, Mystic Seaport, Connecticut (Connection: Mystic Pizza)


This one makes the list for my mom. Long before I watched the 1980s coming-of-age "classic," I enjoyed pizza at Mystic Pizza. The town itself was one of our family favorites for vacations, offering both a historic seaport and a large aquarium.  After viewing the beluga whales and the tall ships, we'd stop by the now-famous restaurant for dinner.  As a teenager, I finally watched the movie with my mother, and I can report back that both the pizza and the film are satisfyingly cheesy.

#5: The Medbery Inn, Ballston Spa, New York (Connection: The Way We Were)


Some of my more devoted readers may or may not have noted that I enjoy all things Robert Redford.  So, you can imagine how pleased I was to learn that The Way We Were was partially filmed close to my hometown in Ballston Spa, New York.  (I may or may not have screamed.)  The Medbery Inn served as the backdrop for the wonderful scene where Katie crosses the street to share a beer with Hubbell.  (This scene is about 50 times more emotional when you're about to graduate from college.)  While there are currently no tables in front of the Inn, many locals have misty, water-colored memories about the film crew being in town. 

#4: The Stanley Hotel, Estes Park, Colorado (Connection: The Shining)


I don't do scary movies, as a rule.  (Trying to find the above picture, I encountered enough images of "ghost children" to give me nightmares for a few weeks.)  I've never been able to watch The Shining, but when I visited Estes Park, Colorado, it was hard to miss the looming Stanley Hotel.  I'm a lover of old buildings, but after taking one look at this place I was thankful my family decided to stay at the Holiday Inn.  If you're into horror movies and Jack Nicholson and ghost children, they cater to the creepy at the Stanley.  It's fun to say you've seen it, I guess...and by "seen it" I mean to say that I definitely did not go inside.

#3: Zoom, Park City, Utah (Connection: The Sundance Film Festival)


Because I love him, #3 is also Robert Redford-related.  While the Sundance Film Festival is only in full swing at the end of January, Zoom (like a camera zooms) is a restaurant open year-round.  Redford & Co. purchased the old train station and decorated the walls with pictures from the early festivals. Even if members of your party have no interest in film (gasp), the food is truly delicious and you can eat outside on a warm summer night.  (Though I'd recommend checking out the pictures before you make your way to the patio.) 

#2: Musee Mecanique, San Francisco, California (Connection: The Princess Diaries)


I adore The Princess Diaries.  Especially the scene where Princess Mia and Queen Clarisse (Anne Hathway and Julie Andrews) decide to spend the day getting lost in San Francisco.  When I visited the city, I was overjoyed to find the penny arcade complete with the laughing clown.  As you can see, I even tried to beat the arm-wrestling machine that outsmarts the Queen.  (Alas, I could not.)  Just like in the film, there are plenty of  corn dog stands just outside if you can bear the chill off San Francisco Bay.  If you like novelties, visiting this museum/arcade is a must!

#1: Sundance Resort, Sundance, Utah (Connection: All things Robert Redford)


While you're probably not surprised to see this as my number one, I can't say enough good things about the Sundance Resort.  First and foremost, it's a gorgeous nature preserve.  Secondly, the food is amazing and caters to every budget. Thirdly, the bar I'm sitting at above was once owned by the real Butch Cassidy.  The Sundance Institute is also on the grounds, so you might see aspiring filmmakers running about with camera equipment.  Robert Redford and Sydney Pollack filmed Jeremiah Johnson on the property, and the "Hall of Memories" is a cinematic museum within itself. 

Have a favorite film-related destination?  Share below!

2 comments:

  1. We need to watch "The Way We Were" again before graduation. Maybe finals week? Anyway, I love the idea behind this post. I really like that you limited your selections to places in the US... it makes them seem a lot more accessible, even if I know I probably won't be going to Utah anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that movie kills me. just reading its title kills me. that last scene... --ds

    ReplyDelete